We offer the best exterminating services in tri-state area which is New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
Drain flies, also known as moth flies, are little and fuzzy creatures. They are quite damaging, harmful and irritating too. These flies have bodies and wings covered with numerous hair.
Commonly found around drains, these flies leave a powdery smudge when crushed. The identifying character for the drain fly is the unique pattern of veins in its wings. It would help you identify it from other drain creatures.
Drain flies are yellowish, brownish-gray, or blackish creatures with pointed, leaf-shaped, white speckled wings. Long dense hair cover their body and wings. These insects are aquatic creatures, having dark, hardened patches on the back of each body segment. They breathe through a siphon tube in their body. For reproduction, the females lay eggs in the jelly-like film that covers the place. The eggs hatch in two days, and the larvae complete development in approximately two weeks.
These flies can breed outdoors during the summer season. Adult flies enter homes through open doors or windows, and lay eggs. Moist areas where air conditioning units drain, or clogged guttering are preferred by these insects. Buildings located near sewage treatment facilities may experience regular infestations of drain flies flying. In commercial buildings, the insects are often seen in restrooms, closets, and boiler rooms. In fact, they can breed in any area where water and organic matter may accumulate.
How to Prevent Damage
- Control method should be aimed at elimination of breeding sites.
- The most effective control method is to clean pipes and traps to remove accumulated slime.
- Pouring hot water down the drain provides short-term control. Drain fly larvae can withstand it.
- Clean the pipes with a pipe brush and a plumbing snake you can get in the hardware store.
- You need to do everything you can to get the last bit of slime out of the drain. Even a tiny residue left inside could help these insects breed.
- Call professionals if things go beyond your control.
We emphasize on using green methods to exterminate Drain flies that are both very effective as well as environment friendly.
Request Free Consultation
"The ants in my garden had really become a nuisance for me. When one of my friends told me about NYGreenEco, I called them to have a look on the garden and offer a solution. They cooked up a customized solution to help me get rid of the miscreants. The way they work is really amazing!"